Texas Day 5: Into Mountain Time
Today is my brother John’s 55th birthday. Or it would have been had he not passed away after a brief courageous battle with cancer in early 1990. I’ve been thinking of him a lot on this trip. We only drove any distance together once, to our cousin’s wedding in Boston. But before we left each way he bought a bottle of Pepsi for us both.
THIS IS FOR YOU JB.
So, for the last week or so I’ve have a joke stat in the Road Tip Tally. “Percentage Driven by Traveler Nell: 0.0%”. Well that changes today when Traveler Nell drove a good portion of the morning drive on the longest leg of our trip. New percentages in today’s tally.
TRAVELER NELL DRIVING
MY REACTION TO TRAVELER NELL’s DRIVING
It’s been another long day so I’ll post some photos and end by saying I have really enjoyed Texas. I expected it would be nice but seriously, I had no idea. So good on the Lone Star State.
EVEN THE ROADS IN TEXAS FEEL LIKE A JOHN FORD FILM
WHY THE MPG’s ARE DOWN TODAY
A GENUINE AIR STREAM TRAILER
When we were planning the Great American Road Trip™ we thought it would be a hoot to hop over the border to Mexico. Luckily we came to our senses. Didn’t mean we wouldn’t come close-but not TOO close.
RUNFOR THE BORDER-THEN HIGHTAIL IT OUT OF THERE
I KNOW ONE HOTEL GETTING MARKED DOWN ON THEIR TRIPADVISOR REVIEW.
Road Trip Tally
- Distance Today: 563.1 mi/906.2 km
- Percentage of Day Driven by Traveler Nell: 10.41%
- Total Distance: 3,508.4 mi/5,646.2 km
- Percentage of Total Driven by Traveler Nell: 1.67%
- Driving Time: 9.25 today/68.36 total
- Part 1
- Gas purchased: 11.435 gal/43.286 L
- Gas price: $1.899/gal-$0.501/L
- Mileage for leg: 27.33 mpg/11.80 km/L
- Part 2
- Gas purchased: 7.220 gal/27.330 L
- Gas price: $1.959/gal-$0.517/L
- Mileage for leg: 30.709 mpg/13.09km/L
- Mileage for trip: 31.93 mpg/13.09 km/L
- Cost of fill-up: #1-$21.72 #2-$14.14 Total-$35.86
- Amount budgeted: $70.06
- $34.20 UNDER budget for leg
- $174.64 UNDER budget for trip
Food Budget $50/day
- Today’s expenditures: $88
- Today OVER Budget: $33
- Food expenditures to date: $863
- Grand total OVER budget: $13
Daily Expenditures (Food/Fuel)
UNDER Budget: $161.64